The Sections and the California Young Lawyers Association (CYLA)
|State Bar of California Sections and CYLA ...
Connect with us!
The Sections offer members a greater voice in the programs of the State Bar and up-to-date information on developments in particular fields of law. Join one or more of the State Bar Sections today.
California Solo and Small Firm Summit
The State Bar of California
California Solo & Small Firm Summit
June 18 - 20, 2015
Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa
900 Newport Center Drive,
Newport Beach, CA 92660
You can now REGISTER ONLINE for this program. For more information, see California Solo and Small Firm Summit.
Earn 10 hours of MCLE credit
Twitterers! The hash tag for the Solo Summit is #SoloSummit
This Is Not Your Ordinary Weekend CLE Program!
The Summit is the Event of the Year for California's Solo and Small Firm Practitioners and Office Staff! Expand Your Network Knowledge and Skills, and Learn Key Approaches to Build a Successful Client Referral Network. Take away Strategic Solutions for the Practice of Law and the Management of Your Legal Business. The Summit features Power Networking Events, Legal Education Classes, Business Management Courses, and More--all Designed to Promote a Thriving Law Practice.
Why You Should Join Us
- The Summit content is geared to California attorneys who are in a solo or small firm practice. One low registration fee gives full choice among more than 30 workshops and programs, and much more!
- Earn up to 10 hours of MCLE credit.
- Get credit in Legal Ethics and Competency Issues (formerly Detection/Prevention of Substance Abuse). Select courses also offer legal specialization credit.
- Registration includes admission to education programs, program materials, continental breakfast and lunch. (Meals are available to Paid Registrants only.)
- Receive a USB drive containing a set of comprehensive materials providing up-to-date information on the new issues and trends in the law.
- Visit with vendors exhibiting products and services tailored to Solo & Small Firm Practitioners.
- Have your learning environment serve as the perfect summer getaway for you, your family and friends.
- Register Online for this program.
Now Available! The California Guide to Growing and Managing a Law Office
Published by The State Bar of California
Available for purchase now in the Sections Bookstore [opens in new window].
Growing a law practice can be a lawyer’s most rewarding and challenging professional experience. The goal of this book, is to make it less challenging and more rewarding. It picks up where The California Guide to Opening a Law Office left off, exploring challenges of growing a law practice in detail.
- Introduction and Road Map to Using the Book
- Managing a Law Office
- The Financial Dimension of Growth: Increasing Revenue and Profits
- The Human Dimension of Growth: Increasing the number of lawers, professionals, and staff
- The Client Dimension of Growth: Increasing the number and type of clients
- The Georgraphic Dimension of Growth: Marshaling physical resources
- The Technology Dimension of Growth
- Planning for the Unexpected
This the companion volume to The California Guide to Opening and Managing a Law Office, described below.
The California Guide to Opening and Managing a Law Office
Published by The State Bar of California
See the Sections Bookstore [opens in new window] for more details.
As a sole practitioner or the head of a small firm, you must act as so much more than just CEO; you also must also wear the hats of Chief Financial Officer, Human Resources Director, Chief Technology Officer, and more. The California Guide to Opening and Managing a Law Office is your personal executive team:
Please note: The charts referenced in the book are available here: Opening a Law Office Charts.
For a full list of upcoming CLE programs, see the CLE Calendar.
Online CLE & Self-Study
The Sections offer ongoing opportuntities for continuing legal education credit:
Online Participatory CLE
State Bar Online CLE for Participatory Credit: It'’s fast, it's easy, it's relevant, and it’s time! View Sections programs over the internet for participatory MCLE credit. Our catalog contains hundreds of hours of individual seminars, including programs offering CLE in the the areas of Ethics, Elimination of Bias and Detection / Prevention of Substance Abuse. Includes 450 seminars done by California attorneys for California attorneys. For a complete catalog of courses, click HERE.
Online articles from Section publications are available for self-study MCLE credit. Each article is worth 1 hour of self-study credit. It's easy ... read an article and then take a 20 question quiz. The answers and justifications are available immediately upon submitting the quiz. You can earn up to 12.5 hours of self-study credit per reporting period. For more information, see our online catalog of articles.
For participants with special needs, please contact the State Bar of California Office of Meeting Services at 415-538-2210.
In addition to our regular publications such as journals and other member benefits, the Sections also publish materials available for sale to all lawyers and the general public. The bookstore includes publications by the Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Section, the Business Law, the Intellectual Property Law Section, the Litigation Section, the Real Property Law Section, the Trusts and Estates Section, and more. For more information, see Sections Bookstore.
Important Information About My State Bar Profile
Section Members, have you set up your My State Bar Profile password yet? If not , make it a priority. My State Bar Profile allows you to access the Members Only Areas of those Sections to which you belong, update your State Bar of California address or record, and more. You can create your profile by going to www.calbar.ca.gov/members.
To see the agendas of recent and upcoming Section Executive Committee Meetings, see Sections Agendas.
The State Bar of California and the State Bar Sections are State Bar of California-approved MCLE providers.