AGENDA FOR EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETING
TRUSTS AND ESTATES SECTION, STATE BAR OF CALIFORNIA
January 17, 2015
9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Westin St. Francis San Francisco on Union Square
(335 Powell Street, San Francisco, CA 94102)
(California East Room)
- Welcome, Report of the Vice Chair, Section Administrator (20 min. total)
- Welcome/Introductions - Crickard
- Approval of Minutes of November 1, 2014 - Crickard
- Report of the Vice Chair - Kohlmann
- Finance Report
- Retreat 2015 - Crickard/Gold
- Report of the Section Administrator - Buelter
- Council of State Bar Sections - Crickard
- Nominating Committee (10 min.) - Schenone
- Long-Range Planning (5 min.) - Kohlmann
- Membership & Marketing (10 min.) - West/Gold
- New Case Alerts - West
- Ethics Guide- Update - Corey/Buelter
- Other Member Benefits Ideas - West
- Collaboration with Real Property Law Section - West
- Social Media (10 min.) - West/Mullen
- Educating Seniors (10 min.) - Wilkerson
- Legislation (20 min.) - Lera/Ascher
- Status Review of Active ALP Projects:
- Trustee Petition to Collect Property Without Probate Administration (T&E 2015-1) - Lauth
Permits the trustee of a decedent’s revocable trust that is designated as the remainder beneficiary in the decedent’s will to collect specifically identified assets of such remainder upon petition to the probate court, if the limited circumstances provided in the statute will apply to the decedent’s will and trust.
- Probate Code Clarification Regarding Clerk’s Duty To Provide Copy of Lodged Will (T&E 2015-2) - Lamping
Would amend Probate Code section 8200(c) to clarify that “informational” certified copies of death certificates fall within the scope of the statute and entitle the bearer, who pays the required fee, to a copy of a lodged will from the clerk.
- Revised Probate Code Section 21524 - Shaver
Expands the provisions of a qualifying marital deduction trust to include a trust that requires distribution of all income to the surviving spouse, including income determined pursuant to an adjustment power or a unitrust payment, and eliminates an unnecessary requirement to pay undistributed income to the estate of the surviving spouse.
- Revise Probate Code Section 16501 and 16502 (Notice of Proposed Action By Trustee) (T&E 2016-2) - Ascher
Expands the scope of Probate Code section 16501to allow the notice of proposed action procedure for trusts to be used for distribution matters, and shortens the notice period for trusts under Probate Code section 16502 from 45 days to 30 days.
- Revise Probate Code Sections 13651 and 13656 (Determination of Character of Deceased Spouse's Property Passing to Surviving Spouse) - Thoreen
Amends Probate Code Sections 13651 and Section 13656 to clarify that, if requisite facts are alleged, the court is also authorized to make a determination of the character of deceased spouse's property passing to the surviving spouse as either separate property or community property if there is a dispute or if that determination otherwise becomes pertinent to a proceeding brought under Section 13650; a separate proceeding for this determination (e.g. under Probate Code § 850) does not need to be initiated.
- Important guidelines for bill tracking
- Please use the approved format for legislative proposals.
- Please use the approved comment form for legislation comments.
- Always send your comments or position papers to Saul and Mark with copies to Chair Schenone, Vice Chair Crickard, and Chair and Vice Chair of the Legislation Committee and not directly to a member of the legislative staff or author.
- Online Bill Tracking legislative information:
www.leginfo.ca.gov/ or http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov (Go to this website for texts of any bills that have not been uploaded to the agenda packet); CapitalTrack sites (See Legislation Committee Workroom Folder and Legislative Matric)
- Coordinate contact with legislative staff and testimony with the legislative staff and Saul and Mark.
- Report on 2015 Legislation
- Incapacity - Lera
||Physician Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment form: statewide registry.
||Medi-Cal: estate recovery.
- Incapacity (15 mins.) - Lera
- Joint Committee on PC 21380 (No Report) - Matiasevich
- Amendment to Probate Code Section 2640 and 2640.1 - Lindsley
- Confidential Marriage (No Report) - Murphy
- Update to Probate Code Section 2365.5 (No Report) - Lindsley
- Estate Planning (20 min.) - Carchidi
- Uniform Power of Appointment Act - Carchidi
- Uniform Digital Assets Act - Carchidi/Lauth
- Webinars - Carchidi
- Post-Death Authority of Agent under Advance Healthcare Directive - Reimann
- Transfer on Death Deeds Legislation - Carchidi
- Other Projects - Carchidi
- Litigation (20 min.) Stroh/Thoreen
- Creditor Rights in Spendthrift Trusts (5 min.) - Carchidi
- Discovery in Trust Litigation (N/R) - Stroh
- Joint Committee on Probate Code 21380 (N/R ) - Matiasevich
- Stine v. Del'Osso Case (5 min.) - Stroh/Thoreen
- New Cases of Interest (5 min.) - Horwitz
- Judgment Liens (5 min) - Matiasevich
- Trust and Estate Administration (25 min.) - Lauth
- Modification and Termination of Trust - Poochigian
- T&E Quarterly Symposium Issue - Kerner
- Non-probate Transfers of Vehicles (N/R) - West
- Conforming Probate Code with Cal. LLP/LLC Law - Prokey
- Allen v. Stoddard - Prouty
- Tax Reimbursement Clauses and Rights of Creditors (N/R) - Prokey
- Modification of Probate Code section 21524 - Shaver
- Hasso Revisited - Probate Code §16350 - Schenone
- Declaration of Trust Funding (Kwok) - Kohlmann
- Conference of California Bar Associations (5 min.) - Stroh
- Education (10 min.) - Lauth/Ellerman
- Annual Meeting Programs and Roadshow - Ellerman
- Spring/Summer Stand Alone Program - Ellerman
- Legal Specialization Prep - Lauth/Ellerman
- Solo Summit Program - Ellerman
- Webinars - Ellerman
- Your Legal Rights - Lauth
- Tax (N/R) - Prouty
- Uniform Laws (NR) - Kwon
- CLRC (5 min.) - Wilkerson
- Ethics (N/R) - Ascher
- Quarterly (10 min.) Poochigian
- New Business/Old Business
- A. Next Meeting – March 14, 2015, 9:30 a.m.- 3:30 p.m.- Weintraub Tobin, 400 Capitol Mall, 11th Floor, Sacramento, CA 95814
- Travel Reimbursement